Image Map

28 October 2013

Currently Reading: Lean In


Okay, so I know I am WAY behind the curve on this one, but I finally got around to reading Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.  I found the book to be easy to read and there was a lot that I could relate to. While there were parts in the book that I found contradicting or I wasn't sure of, overall it gave me a lot to think about and it opened my eyes to some ways I am holding myself back. I think that this book is an important book for all young women to read. It really opens your eyes and gives you something to think about. As someone who will be entering the work force in a couple of years I found it helpful, especially the parts about holding yourself back because you might have a family one day. It gave a great perspective on the work/life balance and the importance of finding a mentor that fits for you not just because you think they would be a great mentor. While working at my internship this past summer, I got to attend a Women in Entrepreneurship Discussion. I really enjoyed getting to hear from female entrepreneurs about what it meant to be a woman in business and what they felt needed to change. There were a lot of really great take home messages from that talk which mirrored a lot of what Sandberg writes about in her book. I think that by talking about these issues we can shed some light on them and begin to make change. I would love to see these ideas be taught/discussed in all business schools. While I believe it is important for women to read books like Lean In, I think it is equally as important for men to read them as well.

Have you read Lean In? What are your thoughts on it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!