Image Map

25 October 2013

Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup


Butternut squash soup is one of my favourite things about fall. I got a huge butternut squash from the farmers market near my house and I knew right away I wanted to make soup with it. There are so many variations of butternut squash soup out there but I knew I wanted to add apples to mine (I still have a bunch from apple picking!). I also love the combination of ginger and butternut squash so I knew I would be adding some ginger to my soup. I roasted the butternut squash because that meant that I only had to cut it once. I hate hate hate cutting butternut squash! This was the perfect solution and it let me add flavour to the squash before adding it to the soup. The end result was a creamy soup that had a hint of sweetness from the apples but a good amount of spice from the ginger. It was really simple to make and I think you will really enjoy it!


Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash
2 tbs olive oil
rosemary
salt and peper
4 small-medium sized apples, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tbs butter
1 tsp freshly graded ginger
3-4 cups water
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Wash outside of butternut squash. Cut in half length wise. Scoop out seeds. Brush each half of butternut squash with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Place cut-side down on baking tray or in a baking dish. Bake for 45 minute or until tender.
2. While the butternut squash is roasting, peel and cut apples and carrots, set aside.
3. Chop onion.  In a large pot, melt the butter, add onions. Cook until transparent. About 4-5 minutes.
4.  Add carrots and apples to the pot. Add water until everything is just covered. (This took me about 3 cups). Simmer on medium heat until apples and carrots are tender.
5. When squash is done remove it from oven. Scoop out the flesh and discard the skin. Add the squash to the pot with the apples and the carrots. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Using an emersion blender (or a regular blender in batches), blend soup until smooth.
7. Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir to combine.
8. Enjoy!
Note: You can freeze the soup before adding the cream. It freezes well and will last for a couple of months in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it just defrost, bring up to a simmer and add the cream to the soup.


What is the one dish you look forward to every fall?
Jaclyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!