Image Map

25 August 2012

Raspberry Scones


Lately I've had a thing for scones.  My friend and I have been going for tea every Tuesday at this cute little coffee shop in town and I alway get their strawberry scones. I started craving them today and just had to make them. Of course we didn't have an strawberries but I found some frozen raspberries in the freezer and decided to make raspberry scones instead. They were just as delicious.  I used this recipe



I liked that these scones had oats in them. It gave them a great texture. 



I used my stand mixer instead of a pastry blender (to be honest I don't know what that is). It seemed to work just fine. 


Raspberry Scone with a Honey Drizzle 

I cannot wait to have one with tea tomorrow morning for breakfast.

Raspberry Scones from Annie's Eats
Ingredients:
1 large egg
½ cup cold buttermilk
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Pinch of nutmeg
10 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, grated on a large grater or cut into small pieces
¾ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  
Combine the egg and buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup.  Stir together; set aside.
Whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.  Add the butter to the bowl and toss.  Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture so that the mixture is crumbly.  Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until incorporated (the mixture will be sticky).  Fold in the berries just until incorporated (be particularly gentle if using fresh berries).  Gently knead the dough 6-10 times, just until it comes together into a sticky dough.  Portion the dough out into 8-12 scones, depending on the size you prefer, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.  (A large dough scoop is a good tool, but not necessary.)  
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.


1 comment:

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!