Image Map

28 June 2009

My Sister's Keeper






Hi Everyone,
I have been at the movies quite a bit in the past week. I went to see Transformers. It was amazing, and Shia was looking beautiful! There was a lot more action this time around then in the first. The movie I really want to talk about however is My Sister's Keeper. I read the book a while back ( around two years ago now) and I loved it. The novel by Jodi Picoult, was powerful and extremely emotional. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, its about a girl, Anna, who was born for the purpose of saving her sister, Kate, who has cancer. However when Kate needs a kidney Anna decides to put her foot down, and no longer wants to be a donor for her sister. She takes action and sues her parents to the rights to her own body. I'll let you read the book to figure out the rest. I have never cried so much as I did when I read this novel. It felt as though it was real and you connected with Anna's character. The family had gone through so much to try and keep Kate alive and her illness was taken a toll on the family. When I heard that they were making this book into a movie I was very excited, I knew this would be a movie I would cry at, seeing as I bawled throughout the book.



The movie for the most part was amazing. Of course they didn't go into as much detail as the book but the overall feelings of the book were portrayed. I cried like really cried, which was a first for me, I hardly ever cry at movies. Sofia Vassilieva, who played Kate, did an amazing job. As did Abigail Breslin who played Anna. Cameron Diaz did an amazing job as the girls mother. She portrayed the character of Sara perfectly. She captured Sara's feelings about her willingness to do anything to save her daughter's life, no matter the cost. Her love for Kate shone through and she didn't understand Anna's side of the story. The movie stayed true to the book for the most part until the end of the movie. This is where my issues with the movie come in. They dramatically altered the ending of the movie making it completely different from the novel. I do not want to give anything away, but I basically sat in the theater going WHAT WHAT WHAT! THAT IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED IN THE NOVEL. That being said, if you did not read the book I am sure that you would enjoy this movie just fine. It is a sad movie, so I would bring a box of tissues with you. I would recommend the book over the movie for sure as it goes into way more depth and has many more twists and turns.



Anyways I hope everyone has an amazing week.
Love,
Belle.

6 comments:

  1. I watched Transformers and I like it too. I've wanted to see My Sister's Keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the commercials on TV, and it looked very good. I had no clue what the real story was though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, my sister's keeper sounds pretty heavy... But also really good. I should go read/watch it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. the movie looks like it is going to be a tearful one. i am curious to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to read the book first. I know I'm going to love it and cry hysterically, I'm okay with that. Are you excited about the Time Traveler's Wife, cus I am! I cried in the preview

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried so badly when I was reading this :(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!